Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving Thanks

Every Thanksgiving we reflect upon the list of things for which we are most grateful. We stuff ourselves silly with incredible food, and give thanks for our blessings.
This year, I think I can sum up my gratitude for my blessings by saying this: I am thankful for miracles.
I am thankful for the miracle of successfully home educating my children. They are doing so well! Dot actually loves math and science again (yeah!), Wakko's learning to appreciate the classics, and Yakko's engorging himself in multiplication. This is a miracle to me.
I am thankful for the miracle of work. My sweetheart has a very good job that he really enjoys, and his employer seems to really be thankful that he's there. He's got great co-workers, a super short commute, and a decent wage.
I am thankful for the miracle of having friends. This is something that I took for granted too long. They say that you never know what you've got til it's gone... this sums up my appreciation for friends.
I am thankful for medical miracles. We experienced one of the most difficult trials in our lives this summer: we went through a miscarriage. I've been reluctant to blog about it, but the time seems right. It now appears that we may have either 1. not had a miscarriage after all, or 2. had been carrying twins and lost one... because I learned two weeks ago that I am expecting a baby and am now 14 weeks along! My heart has overflowed with love, gratitude, and joy for this miracle. It also aches for my dear friends who have experienced miscarriages without such a miracle at the other end of it. I may never know why this blessing happened the way that it did, but I am Eternally grateful for this blessing.
I am thankful for the miracle of loving extended families. I am blessed with caring parents, siblings, siblings-in-law, parents-in-law, cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. Life is good. So often we hear of people who feel all alone in this world; I know I'm surrounded by people who love me. This is a miracle to me.
I am thankful for the miracle of having "bounties of life". Our home, our comforts, our vehicles are so appreciated. When so much of the world goes without these necessities, I am grateful that we have what we do.

6 comments:

The Bach 10 said...

Great post!

Rach said...

Congratulations on the little miracle! I have been wondering, and now I know! I hope you are doing well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Great job on home-schooling, too. I think it takes a special kind of mom to be able to do that.

You are awesome! I love reading about your family.

Mandee Lue said...

OH MY GOSH!!! YAY!!!! WO-HOO!!! I was wondering why everyone kept saying that Stephanie was 'glowing' and 'glowing' somemore!! Love you Stephanie - congratulations!!!

Kendra said...

Oh, I am so happy for you! I heard through the grapevine kim...becky...me. I didn't know you homeschool! Good job for you, and I am glad that is working out well for you. I am glad to have found you again (from Trisha's blog)

The Clarks said...

congrats! when Kim told me over the phone a while back I was so excited for you guys! What a great ending to a troubling time.

Anonymous said...

I just had to leave my "congrats" in addition. You have always been such a wonderful role model for me to look up to and I just admire the heck out of ya! You are such an amazing mommy and wife, I only hope to be as brave and strong as you are some day!!!