It's no secret that my pregnancies are no picnic. I have felt very blessed to only have "really yucky tummy" for the first five months of this pregnancy. We were all hopeful that this was the only issue to deal with this time around. We were counting on a "boring" pregnancy.
We were wrong.
It's not like kidney stones are the end of the world, but it sure stinks to finally be feeling like a "normal" person again (if normal includes a huge belly) and then be stricken with this.
All day Sunday and Monday I felt like something wasn't quite right. I actually spent most of the day on Monday perched on my bed with my laptop. Then around 9 p.m. it hit: pain in my left kidney. I talked to my sweetie about it, and he felt it best to get some rest; I didn't sleep much on Monday night/Tuesday morning. By 9 a.m., I was full-out miserable and called my OB who recommended that we went to the hospital. Looking back at it, I can now see some humor in this. My sweet heart and I have joked that no pregnancy of mine is complete without visiting the hospital some set number of times prior to the baby being born. I'm hoping that this is the ONLY time we'll have that "pleasure" this time around.
After getting the pain and nausea under wraps, an ultrasound was performed. It was confirmed that my left kidney had stones that were backing up my system. Yeah, it hurt. Apparently the doctor talked to Troy about it for a bit (I was asleep) and they decided I'd be most comfortable at home. I was sent home with pain meds and orders to drink like a camel and sleep as much as possible. Needless to say, I managed to follow doctor's orders well and slept just about all day Tuesday.
Wednesday is a blur: I do remember Dot bringing me lots of drinks and my room being dark.
Thursday I got up and going again. I moved furniture into the nursery, supervised school work, corrected assessments, cleaned bathrooms, washed laundry, supervised the dishwasher replacement, and fixed three meals. I am not superwoman: I am stupid. I paid for it with a super achy body, bruised foot, head ache, and extreme fatigue. Yup... I am stupid.
What, you may ask, in the world is the point? I must have something yet to learn in life about myself and accepting limitations. I need to learn to accept help and learn to say "no". I must learn to listen to my body and do what is best for it, even if it means my house is a wreck. I must need to learn humility.
Today's goal is to find balance. I'm super tired but need to be awake enough to do school with the kids. I hope to juggle my responsibilities outside myself with my obligation to care for myself.
The truest test of real friendship is a good old-fashioned trial.
To those friends and family who keep offering love, support, empathy, and patience: I cannot thank you enough! I know it's weird for those of you who have never gone through a pregnancy with me to see me so run down. I know it isn't like me at all to be like this. This is life. This is reality, and this is a challenge for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you for loving me anyway. Thank you for knowing that "this too shall pass" and this is not the "new" me: this is the Stephanie on pregnancy. Thank you for understanding that I will be back to my full-strength-and-energy self sooner than later... if you allow me time to take care of myself. Thank you for your words of encouragement, your calls, your visits, and your emails. I cannot express my gratitude for true friends who love unconditionally.
By the way, my kids have been undying troopers in all of this! Thank you a zillion times for the drinks, the hugs, the patience, the understanding, the chores, and the focus on school work. You are my heroes, and I am Eternally grateful for you!
Update: I am feeling so much better! Thanks for the well-wishes!
8 comments:
I totally feel for you! My dad just passed a kidney stone and just seeing how much pain he was in I can't imagine going through that WHILE being pregnant WITH 3 other kids to take care of. No matter what you think, you ARE super woman even if you don't feel like it :)
Have your kidney stones passed yet? Lyle gave my dad the advice to drink lemon juice concentrate and it worked to pass it quickly. Lyle has had 6 or 7 of them so he has experience. Hope that helps (if you haven't already recovered)
Hang in there! We are all thinking about you and sending our well-wishes your way. Let's "chat" soon.
Wow, Stephanie... I think you're even more incredible for facing such a trecherous path, and with such courage! Always, always love you... and PS... I just posted some videos on Facebook from the benefit bash Steph J threw tonight. Love you!
OH Stephanie, I didn't know you were going through all of that. You truly are amazing! You have such a good attitude, I admire all you do, and the happiness in which you do it! WOW! I would love to help you out in any way I can. When is our lunch date again, I can't wait!?
You are A great mom I a happy to help!
Love Love,
Dot
oh my what a stressful week! I hope this one proves more relaxing and comforting!!
It kind of makes my sore throat sound a little wimpy. I am so sorry you went through that - I am glad it is over. I am mostly sorry that I didn't call or come by to help.
I'm so glad you are feeling better! I wanted to know, though...do you have CF? Or are you just a fan of those amazing people?
Post a Comment